Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Tuesday Book Review

 


Five-star review of Green Glass Sea by Ellen Klages

I read this for the first time several years ago, but now that I’ve seen the historic places mentioned in the books, even sold books at Fuller Lodge, it’s easier for me to follow the actions of Dewey and Suze. Their stories stayed with me, so when I saw a copy of the first one at the National Museum of Nuclear Science and History, I had to buy it. Rereading it struck me with how Klages created the voices of the two eleven-year-old girls. The story of once secret Los Alamos is told through the eyes of two pre-teens including all the ethical questions of whether, just because the scientists could invent the bomb, they should. The growth of the girls’ friendship against that backdrop makes an interesting, sometimes exciting and other times even humorous read.

No comments:

Post a Comment