Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Tuesday Book Review


 







Four-star review of The Paris Seamstress by Natasha Lester


I don’t usually read romances, not even historical ones, but I found this book in my ginormous TBR pile and started it. I finished it in just a few weeks. The story about a seamstress who flees Paris as the Germans are invading and find new family and friends in New York as well as eventual success as a designer of ‘clothes women want to wear’ would probably have been enough. But that story is interspersed with her granddaughter modern day story. Like most romance novels, the women are all beautiful and the men all handsome. The designer’s clothes are amazing, etc. But the superlatives didn’t bother me as much as they usually do. Perhaps it was the engaging writing. At times, the parallels between Estella’s and Fabienne’s lives and similar personalities were too much, and I occasionally had to think about which one’s story we were in. But their stories were usually interesting and once in a while exciting.


No comments:

Post a Comment